Monday 28 November 2016

Season 3, Week 9, 10, and 11: Smash Up! Sushi! Skulls! Samurai! I ran out of "S" words!

Aaaaaand were back.  Here are the experiences from my Table Top Game Club from November 8th to the 25th.  It's going to be verbose!

Week 9

Smash Up



This week we tried our annual Smash Up Super Draft.  Since the last time we played Smash Up, we expanded the faction collection by adding the supplements It's All Your Fault (dragons, Greek mythology, superheroes, sharks, and tornadoes) and Cease and Desist (parody decks based on Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Transformers, and Star Trek).  This brought our total faction count to 34.  I made some handouts from a Smash Up wiki to give new players quick ideas about each deck.  We had seven players which allowed for two simultaneous games. 


After drawing names and allowing the students to pick, every student got the factions they wanted.  After the first round of games, some students went home.  This left us with four which allowed us to play another round.  I wanted to try Zombies and Ghosts, with both decks taking advantage of cards being played from the discard pile.  It was fun, but I lost both games.  One student won with Superheroes and Shape Shifters.  Copying his big heroes allowed him to bring in massive points in quick succession.  Another student tried Mythic Greeks and The Ignobles (the Game of Thrones parody deck).  The Ignobles had a steep learning curve.  Their technique of giving away minions only to take them back later takes finesse and experience with the game's mechanics.  The ultimate winner was the combination of Geeks and Dragons.  The student playing them figured out quickly how to use the dragons to spoil the bases, and she used the Geeks' rule-bending perfectly.  

 No gaming Friday due to the Remembrance Day holiday.

Week 10

Sushi Go: Party!
I never put too much weight behind Sushi Go!  Last year I treated it like a nice little filler, but with so many other drafting games out there, Susi Go! was off my radar.  When I saw Sushi Go: Party! on the shelf, I paid no attention.  I already had the base game, so I felt there was no need for another version.  Then two things happened: 1) I was overwhelmed by the dilemma of suddenly larger groups of players for my game club, and 2) Tom Vassal of Dice Tower fame released his list of the Top Ten Essential Games of all time (along with lists from Zee Garcia and Sam Healey).  At the top of Tom’s list was Sushi Go: Party!, so I decided to pick up a copy for the club.

I’m incredibly happy I picked it up.  At its heart, Sushi Go! is such a simple game with an easy concept to grasp; players draft cards, hunting for sets of certain types of sushi.  Sushi works like a suit, and points are awarded for matching up these suits into sets.  Some sushi scores at the end of the term, and others score at the end of the game.  Sushi Go: Party differs from predecessor by introducing new kinds of sushi and special cards, like spoons and sushi menus.  The game has several scenarios listed, so after players have tried one version of the game, a new scenario can be put together with new cards.  For a simple drafting game, the variety of the sushi cards keeps the game…pun in 3…2…1…fresh!  That’s right…just let that one linger for a bit…

The students loved Sushi Go: Party!  New players picked up on the rules almost immediately, and veterans were happy with the new variety of cards.  If things felt stale after a game or two, we swapped out cards and changed up the types of sushi.  It was a tremendous amount of fun, but we were finished our session early.  To fill the time, we played a brand new game for the club…Skull!


Skull

Skull is a neat little card game that was featured recently on Shut Up & Sit Down's YouTube channel.  Skull is a very simple bluffing game that can be made with a pack of cards or a stack of bar coasters.  Each player gets four round cards, three featuring flowers, one with a skull. The edition I found on Amazon featured artwork with an international flair.  One player gets a Japanese lotus with a samurai skull.  Another player's cards feature a viking skull with thistles.  Each player plays a card face down.  One by one players either add a card to their stack or make a bet.  Bets are based on how many cards they can flip (starting with their own), and not uncover a skull.  Each player can "raise", claiming they can flip over more flowers, or pass.  If the cards are flipped and the player does not uncover a skull, they score a point, and are halfway to a win.  If they turn over a skull, they get "bit", and lose one of their four cards, hindering their future chances.  The joy comes from making boasts about how many cards one can flip.  The bravado and daring is very enthralling.  Next comes the flipping of cards, which builds the tension nicely, particularly on big bets. Each flower means one step closer to success, but also one step closer to a potential skull.  It's a great dynamic, which leads either to one player cheering as they make their successful bet, or a round of jeers when the skull pops up.

The students loved this game, because everyone is on an even playing field.  There's a great deal of bluffing in the game, but unlike hidden role games like The Resistance or Avalon, this game is not language dependant.  The game is incredibly simple, but there are nuances and depth in the scheming and strategy.  Laying a skull down in front of your own spot and making a huge bet lays a nice trap, assuming someone will take the bait.  I have a feeling this game will make a return, as it's a great filler once a larger game is finished.

7 Wonders

Apparently I have been living under a rock; I've been a hobby gamer for two and a half years, and 7 Wonders has just recently hit my radar.  I've shunted the game out of my head for a while, due largely to another game.  Two years ago as I was building the collection for the game club, I was shown the game Among the Stars.  AtS was described as a "better version of 7 Wonders", but I didn't even know what 7 Wonders was to begin with, so knowing I supposedly had a "better" version kept 7W away from any attention.  However, with the larger turn-outs I've been having, I have been investigating games that play larger groups.  I've been looking for games with large player counts beyond party games, and through my investigation, 7 Wonders has emerged.  I picked up the game, along with the Leaders and Cities expansions respectively.  One of the members of my club was very familiar with the game (he has the 7 Wonders companion app on his phone for his home games), so I asked him to run our Friday session.  

It was tremendously fun, and I was impressed with the blend of nuance and simplicity.  7 Wonders is a card drafting game that combines elements of set collection (as seem in games like Splendor), the card drafting of Sushi Go!, and the historic nod to the ancient world as seen in Sid Meier's Civilization.  It was good to have a few experienced players for the session, because the icons and goals take some adjustment.  We did not play with the expansions, as half of the group were inexperienced players.  The scoring app helped keep everything organised, and I downloaded it later that evening.  This is a game I definitely want to play again, once I am more familiar with the rules and set up.  I'm glad it hit my radar, and I think it's a strong addition to the club.

Friday's session ended with a few rounds of Skull.  I knew this game was going to be a hit. 

Week 11


Coup

It wasn't that long ago that the club played Coup.  The large player count made it a solid choice for this week's session.  Almost every player was an experienced Coup fan from last year, so it was a fun session.  Like visiting an old friend, Coup was provided great opportunity for bluffing and strategy, and speed of the game allowed for multiple games in our two hour session.  There's not much more to report; the students had fun, and that's the goal of the club.

Samurai Spirit

Once again, Shut Up & Sit Down's YouTube channel drew my attention to a game I had not considered.  Once I learned the premise of Samurai Spirit, I ran out immediately and grabbed the game.  Based on the story of The Seven Samurai, the game has the players take on the role of a group of samurai defending a village from a band of raiders.  Players are given a samurai character designed to hold off a certain amount of bandits while defending the village, represented by a small board with tokens representing barricades, farms, and families.  Not only does each samurai have a unique ability, players can temporarily loan their ability to another player.  This gives players a chance to work as a team, devising the best strategies to deal with the waves of attackers.  Each game is played over three rounds, and each round stronger raiders are added to the waves of attackers.  To deal with the increased difficulty, each samurai has an animal spirit they invoke when they are seriously wounded.  It has an almost Incredible Hulk like feeling when you opt to take a wound knowing you can flip over your player card and release your animal side.  It's wonderfully thematic!

Samurai Spirit has several qualities that made it a must have for the club.  It has a large player count (7), is cooperative, and does not take too much time to play.  We had a massive seven player turn-out, and we picked up on the rules very quickly.  It's a game that tends to lean towards Alpha-gaming or "quarter-backing", but with so many players we did not have a single person dominate the table.  Unfortunately, we lost the game.  Like so many other cooperative games, there was one way to win, and several ways to lose.  Either way, it was tremendously fun, and I hope it hits the table again very soon.

For the third time in two weeks, we finished the session with a couple rounds of Skull.  

Thanks for reading folks.  In the next couple weeks, I'll post my top five picks for the holiday, as well as give a special report of how I've incorporated board games into my Creative Writing class.  Talk to you all real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment